54 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Edited Nov 02, 2009, 19:02
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 1 November 2009 CE
Nov 02, 2009, 18:43
BEAK - s/t - The more i've played it the more it's getting under my skin, some of the obvious references help but it's very much its own record as opposed to some kinda reverential tribute.

JOHN SPENCER BLUES EXPLOSION - Plastic Fang - A bit inconsistent but the many highs outweigh the occasional low. Almost forgot quite how much i enjoy Spencer's snake-hipped sleazy Elvis schtick too. Oh, and Russell Simmins is one helluva tub thumper.

BRIGITTE FONTAINE - Est... - New to me and very good it is too, i could get into this psychedelic chanteuse stuff.

SOULSAVERS - Broken - Worth hearing for Mark Lanegan's considerable and consistently excellent contributions alone. One minor quibble, after playing the BEAK record a lot this week it does seem a bit over produced in comparison though.

EARTHLING TEMPEL - Pilgrimage To Thunderbolt Pagoda - Great stuff, then again i'm a bit of a sucker for HMT and their monks on acid vibe and ES in cosmic motorik hoedown mode !

Edit - GONG - 2032 - Still enjoying this but as the concept becomes clearer in my head i find myself imagining this as some kinda weird West End musical production as its story's so coherent. Er, and yes, in my minds eye the lead rolls of Zero and Yoni are played by a be-wigged Michael Ball and Elaine Page. Don't think i'll be petitioning Cameron Macintosh to bring said production to reality just yet, mind.

A quiet week but a good 'un, happy listening everyone,

Mark x
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index