Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 1 November 2009 CE

54 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2370 posts

Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 1 November 2009 CE
Nov 03, 2009, 00:32
Not done this for a while, having teenage daughters means don't get to the computer as much as i used too.

Pere Ubu - Long Live Pere Ubu
This is nuts, but it's grown on me massively. Basically it's Pere Ubu's musical retelling of Alfgred Jarry's Ubu Roi, sounds an iffy premise but it's great, and the lyrics are hilarious in parts.

Kraftwerk - Computer World, Trans Europe Express & Man Machine.
The recent Beeb 4 docu had me pulling these off the shelf. Had forgotten how ahed of their time they sound. Was great listening on the motorway back from a friends to, fitted the 'autobhn' perfectly. Not sure i'll shell for the remasters though.

Bahaus - Mask (3 CD box)
Shamelessly DL'd this, as i've already forked for it on Cassette, Vinyl and CD over the years. Not sure the additional discs are worth the money, but it's s'posed to be a tasty (LTD) package. The final live disc is the only thing i'd not heard on this, as most of the 'unreleased' stuff i'd had on various boots from way back. Still, good album nontheless

Oneida - O Rated
Love this, think it's the best stuff they've done in a while.

Cate Le Bon - Me Oh My
Quite like this, prefer it to the Neon Neon stuff anyhoo.

Broadcast & the Focus Group Investigate Witch Cults of the Radio Age
I Luuurvve Broadcast, just about everything they've done does it for me, but i've listened again and again and again to this looking for a chink and i just can't get into it. Wether it's the over archness of the Ghost Box compadres Focus Group i dunno, but it sounds like a bunch of half formed ideas wraped around a dodgy concept. Nice vid though!

Johnny Dowd - Temporary Shelter
This is just about the wierdest ole Johnny gets, part alt country, part electro trip hop, part backwoods confessional, it's great, in a flawed masterpiece kinda way.

SFA - Radiator
Got this out mainly for Demons and Herman Loves Pauline, two great pop singles of the period, don't think they've come close to this record since truth be told.

Gary Numan - Pleasure Principle
My eldest is making me drag her to see him do the record in it's entirity at the end of the month, so i've been reaquainting myself with the record, which was a fav' of mine way back when. It's kinda disturbing though that she's gradually harvesting all the cool stuff i used to listen to as a kid, and nicking it all for herself. Still, she's got better taste than most of her mates (well i would say that wouldn't I !)

DVD
Made In Sheffield
The recent Synth Brittania doc' made me have a nose at this too.
The Martyn Ware and Phil Oakey interviews are pretty in depth, and the guy from ABC/Vice Versa seems like he woulda talked for ever. Would have been nice to see a bit more Cabs though.

12"
Wooden Shjips - Contact / Vampire Blues
Love both these records, but i think the Contact 12" has the edge.
Saw em' do a fantastic gig a few months ago in Manchester in this tiny venue (can't remember the name...Ice Crream FActory or something?) was a great night, Gnod supported, they were on a real 'Kraut' trip that night, better than the records i forked for, that's for sure.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index