Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Edited Nov 02, 2009, 16:46
Re: Soundtracks Of Our Lives w/e 1 November 2009 CE
Nov 02, 2009, 16:41
IanB wrote:

I saw him with Jack Bruce at the New Victoria in what was 76 or early 77 and they had that full-on Lifetime approach as a rhythm section. He could swing and play rock too but he had definitely been listening to the early jazz rock chaps and could overplay with the best (and worst) of them. I think there is a BBC In Concert knocking around from that tour that was broadcast in quad (!). I have a bootleg of that but not an official release. Good version of Out Into The Fields.

He certainly had quite a rep back then for someone so young. I had a mate ( we must have been 15 at the time ) who was a seriously good drummer himself and he got the 801 LP purely to hear him play which is when i first became aware of him. Saw him live myself in 79? when he played with Jeff Beck in full fusion mode, gotta say i was seriously impressed by his skills to the extent where i even enjoyed the drum solo. Er, although i should say i was in a bit of an impressionable state that night so he could've probably just banged on a can and i'd still have thought it was one of the best things i'd ever heard.

Sorry i'm digressing, what i really meant to say was, couldn't agree more about fusion drummers being a big influence on his style, one thing's for sure he certainly didn't seem to be from the 'less is more' school of thought !
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index