74 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bubblehead2
bubblehead2
2167 posts

Edited May 13, 2009, 09:48
Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives LIVE! from ATP w.e.10/05/2009
May 13, 2009, 09:40
Hi Squid, they were on at the Corsica Studios in Elephant & Castle, think i'm still trying to reconnect with my head 'cos at times last night it felt like they were almost ripping it off.

It's the first time i've seen them and i wasn't disappointed. Was surprised to see a 6 piece band with an additional drummer/percussionist and keyboard player ( lovely Korg synth wooshes, swirls and drones ) but that only served to free drummer Zak Riles up for extra guitar duties which i'm certainly not complaining about.

The performance was dynamic, some spacey ambience / weirdness on the intros and outros and layered guitars, immense drumming, propulsive bass, loads of FX on the, at times, ocean sized songs proper. Most of which have a distinct Middle East / Asian vibe to them, er, but combined with a full on rock assault. I'm not gonna pigeon-hole them but one thing they ain't is World Music.

Oh, and despite the complexity ( to my ears anway ) of the music on their studio releases these guys are more than capable of not only being able to pull it off live but to add to it too.

Fuck knows what it most have been like to see Sunn O))) there though the venue wasn't exactly large. I envy Spaceship Mark on that one !

BTW, like Jesu, i've never heard Isis but they're on my list of things to check out. Er, if i can overcome my irrational prejudice for bands named after dieties. On a similar tack if Grails were Tolkien fans and decided to call their band, say, Bilbo, i wouldn't listen to them in a million years, hehe.

I'm ramblin', better get on !
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index