74 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9574 posts

Re: Soundtracks of Our Lives 10/05/2009
May 10, 2009, 22:35
LP’S

EARTHLING - David Bowie
I like Bowie’s 90’s stuff. Earthling might see Bowie jumping on the D&B bandwagon, but there’s some good tracks here. A mate of mine who was a big Bowie fan in the 70’s prefers this to the likes of Hours because he thinks this is more Bowie-like in the true sense – i.e. taking a current fad and making it his own rather than making what sounds like an old Bowie LP.

OUTSIDE - David Bowie
This is even better though – there really are some great moments here. I've always liked this one a lot but some numbers – The Voyeur Of Utter Destruction, Thru These Architect’s Eyes, the D&B-ish I’m Deranged, etc - sound even better these days. Probably his best since Scary Monsters for me. And like Earthling there are some good alternative mixes, etc, on the re-issued bonus cd.

HARDER THAN THE REST – Culture
Anyone who has just a passing interest in Culture and thinks Two Seven’s Clash is the only LP they need really need to think again. This might be rather over-looked in comparison to that, but it’s a classic IMO.

THE REAL NEW FALL LP (‘COUNTRY ON THE CLICK’) – The Fall
Mike’s Love Xexagon is one of my all-time fave Fall tracks. Great riff, rare Fall harmonies and that funny little Good Vibration bit. Classic!

YEARS OF REFUSAL – Morrissey
Already sounding much better than it did a few weeks ago. I disagree totally with whoever said that he doesn’t sound in such good voice on this one. It was the clarity of his vocals on I’m Throwing My Arms Around Paris that impressed me more than the actual song on initial plays. Now it’s a definite a contender for my single of the year thus far. Gotta mention the urgency in his voice on the clattery closing number I’m OK By Myself, too. Great stuff!

ALSO...
SOMETIMES I WISH WERE AN EAGLE – Bill Callahan

THE UNRULY IMAGINATION – Julian Cope/Black Sheep

FROZEN BLOOD – Crispy Ambulance

S/T – Mugstar

PURE PHASE – Spiritualized

45’s

MAJOR BLITZKRIEG – Higamos Hogamos
Three versions, though the best one I've heard so far - the 22” Wife re-mix - isn’t on the cd, but available for nowt from the NME website... http://www.nme.com/blog/index.php?blog=122&p=5901&more=1&c=1

GOODBYE – Seeland
Hunter T Wolfe was right. The ten minute b-side, Tears Of An Architect, is well worth hearing. Blimey, that’s two tracks with ‘architect’ in the title that I've enjoyed this week!

GET IT ON – T.Rex

WHITE FLOWER – Susomo Yokota
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index