IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 27, 2008, 17:40
Re: Generic Supersessions
Sep 27, 2008, 17:31
shanshee_allures wrote:
IanB wrote:

Vanian, Idol, October, Sioux, Cornwell etc etc are still pretty much what they were when they started (for better or for worse) but when it comes to the Pistols I simply don't believe a word Rotten says.

Idol? Hehe. Sorry, can't help laughing at awarding him 'surname respect status':-)
I'm not just talkin about his 80s stuff, Generation X were pure Butlins punk surely.
Mind you over 90% of it was so fair enough on them.
Anyway, I don't consider Eno a 'muso'. I find that puzzling.
I don't recall him doing too much noodling.
He approaches music like he hasn't got a clue where to start, beautifully.
And more often than not he doesn't do the coffee table bit.
His mercenary jobbing production ventures are something else, but it don't bother me.
Canaxis I think is great too but yes, he does get a bit too Tangerine Dream-y at times.
EDIT: Oh, and as for Sioux...was at least heartening to see her praise Roxy in the recent doc (Steve Jones spoke about his love for em too). Sort of contradicts her usual 'punk was year zero, all else before was shit' stance. But she is a bit of a precious moo, ain't she? How very un-punk!
:-)

x

Yes well (Billy) Idol has a lot to answer for. My list was of a quick run down of the most recognisable British lead singers of the first wave of punk bands (I accidentally left out Peter Shelley and deliberately let out Paul Weller).

I would argue that Generation X were no where near as shit as people say they were. He was certainly one of the most natural (and easily recognisable) front men of the early Punk era.

Muso is a tricky one. I am not sure why Eno isn't considered a muso but Wobble is. Is Eno more or less of a muso than his regular compadre Robert Fripp and are either of them more or less of a muso than Bill Nelson? Or Peter Hammill? If a muso is someone with a worryingly uncool degree of technical facility then is a guitar genius like Nick Harper a muso and more of muso on guitar than his slightly less gifted dad? Was Sly Stone a muso? Is Mick Taylor more or less of a muso than Keef? Were Can musos and Tangerine Dream not or the other way around? Or is muso just a shorthand term we use for someone who can play really well but whose music we don't like?
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index