Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 25, 2008, 10:21
Re: PIL Metal Box
Sep 25, 2008, 10:15
earthlingfred93 wrote:
I dont know if this subject has come up before...

Personally it's in the top 5 best albums ever made for me. A record of total artistic freedom, nothing before or since has sounded quite like it.

'Memories' in particular with that bit about a quarter in, where the whole sound changes, as Lester Bangs noted "It's something I've never heard someone do in the middle of a track, the grooves start to burn themselves away"...

Could this be a unanimous vote from the HH'rs on the greatness of Metal box...or is it self-indulgent, bleak, post punk art wankery?

Answers on a postcard please....

It was an amazing record at the time (especially given how thin the first record is) and wonderful packaging.

Huge influence on me too as a musician. Not so much for what Wobble played but the sound that the four of them make together. Spacious, groovy and hugely violent music.

"Y" was more important to me in terms of *what* was being played, said and sung. Mark Stewart has more to say to me than Lydon.

If there was a dub version it would be in my top five but Johnny is a pretty crappy writer and other than his views on the church he and I don't really see the world the same way.

Off the top of my head I think "Entertainment", "Y", "Dub Housing", "Cut", "Remain In Light", "Dancing With A Different Sex" and Fugazi's "13 Songs" probably push "Metal Box" into an honourable 8th in my personal Post Punk album charts. Though when it comes to killer angular-guitar-and-dub-bass records it is a very crowded field!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index