PIL Metal Box

69 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
earthlingfred93
1115 posts

Re: PIL Metal Box
Sep 25, 2008, 11:48
[/quote]

"Y" was more important to me in terms of *what* was being played, said and sung. Mark Stewart has more to say to me than Lydon.

If there was a dub version it would be in my top five but Johnny is a pretty crappy writer and other than his views on the church he and I don't really see the world the same way.

[/quote]

I judge the album solely on the musical and not lyrical merits. I find Lydons lyrics on bollocks very simple meat and potatoes writing which to be honest
in '77/78 was just what was needed in terms of listening to the twaddle being churned out by Topographic oceans YES etc. It connected because it was simple and to the point but a Rimbaud he aint.

Metal box, well I dont listen to the lyrics at all I just find them as a part of the music and in some places where he feels likes he's got something to say a little too loud and irrelevant.

...and i've yet to see concrete tar

I dont even categorise it as Dub or kraut or whatever and You cant really say the same about dub housing or 'Y'. They are basically albums of their own ilk and that's what makes them masterpieces (though I prefer the Modern dance to DH).

Nothing before or since.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index