Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 27, 2008, 10:06
Re: Generic Supersessions
Sep 27, 2008, 10:03
shanshee_allures wrote:
Yeah he's a bit of a pantomime dame etc but christ, better than the coffee table muso hell Wobble indulges himself in (see Sinead O'Connor for one!) x

I think that neatly sums up the divide on this one.

You know I like a bit of Laswell and Holger and Bill Nelson and Eno and all that "muso hell" every now and again so we are bound to differ a bit on that front. I also like people who work hard at what they do. So that lets JL out on both counts.

The tabloid, prole-poking outrage part of the punk rock thing which Lydon seems to still relish is something else entirely. Panto is a good word. Which is where my Arthur Aksey thing came from. He's a great British Entertainer like Michael Caine or Robbie Williams. Nothing wrong with that.

Looking back at the class of 77 and the various front men who graced that scene I think Strummer was absolutely the real thing in that whatever punk rock ideals he had when he started he hung on to them despite (or perhaps because of) his failure to live up to them (if you follow me). Vanian, Idol, October, Sioux, Cornwell etc etc are still pretty much what they were when they started (for better or for worse) but when it comes to the Pistols I simply don't believe a word Rotten says.

As an aside, 30 years on the genius of punk rock seems to me to have been to have been about people photocopying their own fanzines and glueing singles sleeves together at 3am. It wasn't about the bands who signed to majors and took limos to shows it was about the ones who wouldn't or couldn't. There was self-reliance and even a work-ethic to be had. I am also a big believer in artists having a work-ethic. It should be something you get up and do more or less every day. Which is what Ian Mackaye and the likes of Ani Difranco picked up on. Cope too.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index