IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 26, 2008, 19:15
Re: Generic Supersessions
Sep 26, 2008, 17:25
keith a wrote:
The Pistols without Lydon?

What, like The Professionals. Try comparing their album to Bollocks.

End of story!

PS Would have those Time Zone and Leftfield 45's been anywhere near as good without Johnny's input? No!! He's not perfect but he's made some great records. Would you say Magazine gave been great without Devoto? The Teardops without Cope? Take That without Robbie!? ; )

Bands are as good as the sum of their parts, but I think it's wrong to over-look Lydon's contribution and -yes- leadership of PIL.

As for him not making new music...as no-one seemed very interested in his solo album I can kinda see why.

As for PF being any good without Syd. Cliche or not, I know where my preferences lie. And it's not with bloated old saggy rock! ; )

Surely you aren't deliberately getting the wrong end of the stick to generate a bit of banter. That's my trick!

Further up this thread I lavished him with praise for his Rock Star credentials. I also put Metal Box in a notional Post Punk top ten. So clearly I think he's shit, right? Wrong.

What I said though is that he is a brilliant front man but not a musical artist. If he had talent and artistry or a true creative bone in his body he would be able to make worthwhile records with a box of kitchen utensils and a stylophone. History shows that he can't get anything of value done without a crack team around him. As it is I imagine he is someone who considers making music only when the advance cheques look enticing enough. Which is fine and dandy, makes him no different from a lot of other highly regarded pop stars, but it does not make him an artist. It makes him the Sex Pistols brand spokesperson.

And that's no big deal. there are plenty of acts like that and I know how indie boys like to cling to that musically inept ingenue thing, to the doomed drug casualty thing and also really like people who don't look like they are trying too hard ;-)

Put Wobble and Levine in a room what kind of music will they make? Something that sounds not unlike PIL. Cope without Teardrops and Devoto without Magazine would still be the artists they are and I would tend to think that anyone playing with them would bend their musicianship to bring HD and JC's thang to life. The singer wouldn't just ride the prevailing musical storm from one barrage of invective to the next. They know what they want and they er ... know how to get it.

Anyway my original point was that I am not sure Metal Box wouldn't be better without having to hear his awful dreary whine all over it but we can both have our PIL cake and eat it too.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index