Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 26, 2008, 07:41
Re: Generic Supersessions
Sep 26, 2008, 07:29
Dog 3000 wrote:
(Yes, but I figured mentioning Steve Vai would not be considered a point in it's favor among most folk around here!)

Steve Vai seems to be an honest guy. He does what he does. He doesn't change his tatstes to fit the prevailing critical tides.

I don't believe Lydon is or was ever a true musical artist. To my mind a true musical artist is driven inexorably to create music whether the stuff they are coming up with is solid gold or pure shit. An artist would have come up with some original music in the last 19 years and if he could find musicial partners as good as Wobble & Levine or John McGeoch & Bruce Smith then he might well again. Point being that he needs an exceptional framework to make anything work.

He's a great front man, an exceptionally talented shape thrower, a man who took the industry by the tail and chucked it around for a year or two, someone who understood what was required of him, soaked up all the influences and lived it to the tee. He's someone who changed how we look at the world and a Rock Star in the truest sense? All absolutely true but that does not make him an arist.

That's what I mean by "lucky". It's not a negative it's just a fact that he lucked out to have been in three great bands in the exact same way that Geoff Hurst was "lucky" that Jimmy Greaves got injured in 1966. Doesn't take anything away from him but it points up both the disposable genius and the fatal weakness of rock and roll. It's glory is fleeting for all but a very few because only a very few have anything worthwhile to say for more than a very limited period of time. Five years, three albums. That's about the limit for 99% of even the really good bands.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index