Unsung Forum »
PIL Metal Box

Pages: 7 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
earthlingfred93
1115 posts

PIL Metal Box
Sep 25, 2008, 09:09
I dont know if this subject has come up before...

Personally it's in the top 5 best albums ever made for me. A record of total artistic freedom, nothing before or since has sounded quite like it.

'Memories' in particular with that bit about a quarter in, where the whole sound changes, as Lester Bangs noted "It's something I've never heard someone do in the middle of a track, the grooves start to burn themselves away"...

Could this be a unanimous vote from the HH'rs on the greatness of Metal box...or is it self-indulgent, bleak, post punk art wankery?

Answers on a postcard please....
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8768 posts

Re: PIL Metal Box
Sep 25, 2008, 09:32
Big big influence on me, in particular Wob's bass parts, although Levine's guitar also made me rework/rethink my attitude to guitar playing. Definitely a very important album.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 25, 2008, 10:21
Sep 25, 2008, 10:15
earthlingfred93 wrote:
I dont know if this subject has come up before...

Personally it's in the top 5 best albums ever made for me. A record of total artistic freedom, nothing before or since has sounded quite like it.

'Memories' in particular with that bit about a quarter in, where the whole sound changes, as Lester Bangs noted "It's something I've never heard someone do in the middle of a track, the grooves start to burn themselves away"...

Could this be a unanimous vote from the HH'rs on the greatness of Metal box...or is it self-indulgent, bleak, post punk art wankery?

Answers on a postcard please....

It was an amazing record at the time (especially given how thin the first record is) and wonderful packaging.

Huge influence on me too as a musician. Not so much for what Wobble played but the sound that the four of them make together. Spacious, groovy and hugely violent music.

"Y" was more important to me in terms of *what* was being played, said and sung. Mark Stewart has more to say to me than Lydon.

If there was a dub version it would be in my top five but Johnny is a pretty crappy writer and other than his views on the church he and I don't really see the world the same way.

Off the top of my head I think "Entertainment", "Y", "Dub Housing", "Cut", "Remain In Light", "Dancing With A Different Sex" and Fugazi's "13 Songs" probably push "Metal Box" into an honourable 8th in my personal Post Punk album charts. Though when it comes to killer angular-guitar-and-dub-bass records it is a very crowded field!
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Sep 25, 2008, 10:21
Whilst "God Save The Queen" still rips my head off with its brilliance no matter how many times I hear it, I'll have to say "Metal Box" is Lydon's best album - outstripping "Never Mind The Bollocks" and the rest

I do feel there is a case to be made for the "Flowers Of Romance" album - definitely an unsung masterpiece, that one.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Sep 25, 2008, 10:34
And you can get it, in the tin (CD), for £5 at Fopp if you're so inclined.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8768 posts

Sep 25, 2008, 10:56
I love Flowers of Romance too, another fine boundary-pushing album.
elegant chaos
elegant chaos
2390 posts

Sep 25, 2008, 10:57
"I've got an eye to buy the best before the rush"
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Sep 25, 2008, 11:03
Squid Tempest wrote:
I love Flowers of Romance too, another fine boundary-pushing album.

I agree but as with all the PIL records, without the quality of band (and their considerable input) he would be up declamatory creek without a paddle.
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8768 posts

Edited Sep 25, 2008, 11:06
Sep 25, 2008, 11:05
Who are those people in your avatar, EC? The one on the left looks a bit like me!

Edit: by "left" I mean left as you look at it, i.e. the one in the hat.
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 25, 2008, 11:22
Sep 25, 2008, 11:08
elegant chaos wrote:
Whilst "God Save The Queen" still rips my head off with its brilliance no matter how many times I hear it, I'll have to say "Metal Box" is Lydon's best album - outstripping "Never Mind The Bollocks" and the rest

I do feel there is a case to be made for the "Flowers Of Romance" album - definitely an unsung masterpiece, that one.

I think Bollocks and MB are pretty much neck and neck though the genius of both is for me in the playing. Lydon was a very lucky boy.
Almost anyone could have fronted those bands and been gifted a place in the annuls. It's all in the guitars.

It's also interesting how the rock world now views the Pistols and PIL as Lydon / Rotten plus whatever supporting cast. Only Wobble really gets his postumous due and that's really only because he has forged a career under his own name.
Pages: 7 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index