69 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Edited Sep 25, 2008, 19:26
Re: PIL Metal Box
Sep 25, 2008, 19:22
I recently overheard a conversation (between two 40-something music snobs) about this album having once been considered a "room clearer" (put it on at the end of the party to make everyone leave), although one every hipster had to have in their collection (just like "White Light/White Heat" once upon a time.) But (sez snob #1 to snob #2), for some reason nowadays people actually LISTEN TO and LIKE this sort of music (shudder!) (Said folk also think Morrissey is da bomb and "you'd have to be on acid" to listen to The Fiery Furnaces.)

I think that sort of rings true -- Metal Box has gotten "more seminal" over the years in a way that records like "Entertainment!" or "Chairs Missing" haven't (though those are in some ways equally "great".)

Personally, I think Metal Box is head and shoulders above everything else PIL ever did (though I still like the Sex Pistols album even better.)

First LP and Flowers of Romance are good/interesting, but not "great."

The "Generic Album" is a pretty enjoyable listen -- didja know Ginger Baker plays on it?! And Riyuchi Sakamoto, Nicky Skopelitis, Malachi Favors, and even Tony-fekkin-Williams from the Miles Davis band!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index