Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Sep 26, 2008, 12:57
Re: Generic Supersessions
Sep 26, 2008, 12:45
earthlingfred93 wrote:
I agree, To be involved in two of the most groundbreaking albums in rock history within 2 years does indeed hold a bit of luck (the moon was aligned with whatever planet etc), but I also intend to agree with other comments.

Would the album have been the same without Lydon's alien wail?. Yes he is not musically inclined but his voice comes from the very soul of primal rock n roll holler. Also, like mentioned earlier it takes some kind of fucked up miscreant to attract the same like minded souls, who would have probably not been given the chance without Lydon's friendship & then current clout within the music industry.

I think there's a bit of truth in everyone's personal judgement on this topic, but I think we can all agree it is an historical album.....

It's interesting to know how far backwards the music industry has gone in terms of backing groundbreaking artists. To think that this album was released on virgin in 79 and that Branson no matter what people think of him released some seminal albums of the 70's, just goes to show how the major label music industry today is just a pallid limp wristed piece of shit of it's former self along with those fucking mags like MOJO, NME etc...

Oh I couldn't agree more. Branson (or those he empowered with his cash) signed all kinds of brilliant artists and allowed them to get on with it. I don't think Island, Charisma and Harvest were as forgiving of commerical failure or as loyal to their people as Virgin were.

I would go further and say that rock n roll itself is a "pallid limp wristed piece of shit of it's former self along with those fucking mags like MOJO, NME". I mean have you actually sat down and listened to Muse?

To me this is a far worse period than 73-75. OK the cheesecloth shirt and cape brigade ruled the day but there was a lot of other music that was getting mainstream distribution and written about in the press and played on the radio (if sparingly). There are all those records that came out on majors and are reviewed in Unsung for starters. I am not saying major label support and an intelligent music press is the be all and end all but filters are important otherwise a lot of good stuff gets caught up with the other 100,000 albums that will "come out" this year (if only via CD Baby or a web site download) and sell 1000 copies or less.

I never liked Lydon's voice but loved all three of the classic line ups that he fronted. Personal musical taste thing. And it is probably Lydon the tabloid star persona that makes me doubly suspicious. By all means go into retirement if you have nothing to say but if that's what is happening then best to disappear rather than stand on the sidelines waving your walking stick around. It's a bit like when Enoch Powell was still claiming an influence over election results long after everyone had stopped listening to him. Another shit analogy but it's one of those gloria mundi things. You have your time and when it has gone. it has gone.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index