70 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Citizensmurf
Citizensmurf
1703 posts

Re: Deepinder Cheema...
May 13, 2008, 01:40
embryonomore wrote:
I can't stand the CD of Ruben and The Jets that I have.

I believe this to be because of the hideous 80's bass work.

For an album supposedly recorded in 68 as an attempt at authentic Doo Wop, it sure sounds like a piece of shit recorded in 1986...

I'm probably one of the few who prefer the reworked version of Ruben over the original, but then I wasn't there to hear it when it came out. Frank simply wasn't satisfied with the sound quality and the performances he achieved in his early career, and so (like George Lucas after him) when it came time to put out his work again on cd, he tried to make it the way he originally wanted it to sound.

Really though Arthur Barrow's bass sounds so much better than Roy Estrada's plunking, and I can't say I've ever had kind words for Jimmy Carl Black's drumming, but Chad Wackerman is amazing. Overall it sounds much more realized, and I have the original to compare. The problem with judging the two is most people prefer the original of anything they hear, so nostalgia tends to cloud their perception.

One thing that Rykodisc didn't anticipate when they bought the entire catalogue from the ZFT, is that since Frank had remixed/sequenced/worked so many of his albums, they really only bought the one version of the album. So this gives the ZFT full rights to put out the original vinyl versions of his catalogue again, as they did last year with MOFO.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index