Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Edited May 11, 2008, 15:28
Re: Read Carefully
May 11, 2008, 14:54
machineryelf wrote:
Deepinder Cheema wrote:
I love his electric guitar playing, his ability to think compositionaly whilst in performance, and his constant quest to find the right tone, use of electricity and timbre.

I also like his rhymthmically inspired compositions, his dots, and his melodies. He could go on and on at times, but his guitar playing during the 70's was exceptional.

sounds like a description of Yngwie Malmsteen:-)

EEEENNNNGweeeee wee wee wee weee malmsteeeen!

You have got to be joking?!!***!!!

There is no comparison whatsoever. Listen to FZ's solo's on the Dubroom special (Kcet TV show from 1974) I love the way how he uses the Wah pedal as a progressive tone control, his phrasing that he is clearly searching for is beautiful, its like a breath, like breathing..and he is upon composition in real time, on the spot, its more than an improvisation. His solo after the 'chesters gorilla' part of Florentine Pogen; he has thought about the 2 notes that he was going to start the solo off with, and everything seems to have extrapolated from those very notes. Its not a mere solo its like an instant 'comfortably Numb' guitar solo, but on the spot and not worked on. His Black Napkins masterpiece when played in Osaka in 1976 had a saxsolo in it, he just edited it out. Eeeengwieeeee malmsteem, talented fast typist that he is could never write a love letter as eloquently as FZ.

My favourite Zappa guitar piece is 'Sounds like this...' it on the necessity is ..bootleg, from side 1 and 2 of the acetate that Zappa prepared for the 10 LP box that he was planning after he broke the mothers up in August 1969. Sadly this has not been issued officially. The 'Shop Talk' that precedes this on the Acetate/ bootleg is on the 'Lost Episodes' CD c.1996. I believe the CD comapny had to go to leaked Acetate to retrieve it for official release.

Thanks for all the comments, I agree with many of the detractors analyses, yes I have thought it peculiarly male kind of music. I agree that his ability to edit the quantity of material flew out of the window during the 1980's.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index