Deepinder Cheema
Deepinder Cheema
1972 posts

Edited May 12, 2008, 13:56
Re: Deepinder Cheema...
May 12, 2008, 13:41
vince wrote:
red paeony wrote:
I realize he had talent, and knew what he was doing, but his music just didn't move me. x

I think you just hit the nail on the head there RP.....I was once subjected to a very long journey across Germany with the driver playing one of FZ's live Boulez-related pieces...god, I wanted to throw myself out of the moving vehicle.

There also seemed to be a strange love/hate thing going between FZ & his fans that seems to continue with his wife...what's all that about?

I understand that FZ can be very trying, especially as there is a lot of stuff, and he had this an inability to edit and be selective. But there was a part of him that wanted it for his amusment, as he spent $500'000 + to bring the LSO to play his stuff at the Barbican. He said to Robin Denslow on Newsnight in 1983 that he simply wanted to hear what he has written. He was paying for stuff like this to be performed as early as 1962.

He may have pissed of a lot of people by them getting off the wrong foot with him, but I thought him a very courageous fellow, he owed nothing to anyone and lived on his terms. Unfortuanately some FZ fans who live their lives vicarously through him, do not put what I feel they should have learn't from his example into practice. If he was still alive and in good health, retained his razor sharp wits I think he could have helped to keep the Neo-cons, Simon Cowell and others, gun toting imbeciles in check. FZ had been denied the use of the internet and would have conceived a use that would have made his influence (music and otherwise) as big as eBay and Google...combined. He would have done as he was always trying to control the means of distributing his products. A man who died before his time, and I feel music would have been overtaken by his 'humanitarian' activities. There is quite a bit on Youtube about the thoughts of FZ. At least he was dignified about his cancer unlike Doug Ellis.

Not sure about Gail and the fans. Unfortuanately ZFT have not embraced fully the opportunities of the Internet, and she may feel organised bunch of fans have done better, but why should they make use of intellectual properties and she not get paid? as time drags on how can you sell product other than live gigs? The returns are diminishing all the time. I feel that she is caught between 2 stools and she has not the financial capacity to put in mechanisms to keep up.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index