74 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Edited Nov 29, 2006, 23:00
Re: Records that you have more affection for than is usually tolerated
Nov 29, 2006, 22:56
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
"Tusk" is far hipper - and rightly so as it's much more a schizoid, ground-breaking album - but as unadulterated radio-friendly pop goes this is about as good as it gets IMO. Used to have the piss taken out of me by some of my schoolmates for loving this record as a teenager, but casting all notions of cred aside, I really like it.

Bob Mould - Modulate
Even his hard core fanbase seem to dislike this. I've seen it written off by many a punter on Amazon as a half-baked attempt by an indie-rock institution to reinvent himself by dabbling in electronica. They're obviously not hearing what I'm hearing, cos to me it sounds like one of the most vital and unexpected returns to form I've heard in ages. File alongside John Cale's "Hobosapiens" as proof that more mature artists can place themselves alongside the cutting edge without coiming across like yr embarassing uncle at a party full of teenagers.

The Flaming Lips - At War With the Mystics
Took me a while to make up my mind about this one, but no, they dfefinitely haven't lost it. Their new stuff just takes a while to catch on, that's all. One of these albums you'll likely dismiss as spotty and inconsistent on first hearing, but find yourself suddenly loving five months later.

The Replacements - All Shook Down
Largely written off by both listeners and journalists at the time, this is a stone cold classic with no real flaws except for the fact that it doesn't sound like the Replacements that long-term fans knew and loved. Assessed purely on it's own terms, it's a fine document of Paul Westerburg's rapidly maturing songwriting skills and the fragmentation of bith his band and the entire Generation X thang. Sure it's downbeat, even depressing, in parts, but it's definitely not the sluggish pub rock meltdown that most critics seemed to dismiss it as when it was released.
A "Tonight's The Night" or "Sister Lovers" for the 90s perhaps?

That's all I can think of right now, but I'm sure there'll be more to come when I can remember them.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index