Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Edited Oct 25, 2009, 16:04
Re: opinions on last night's question time
Oct 25, 2009, 15:44
Moon Cat wrote:
I think any future encounters of such a mainstream, public nature with the BNP, if it happens, should make some effort to engage them on just what their policies are on other issues of Government are - transport, health, the arts, sport, economy, the general mechanics of governance. It seems pretty clear to me that they are such one track party that Griffin would flounder completely when faced with issues aside from immigration.

Obviously, it is essential to continue to attack their bigoted line, but I think it would serve to reveal to an even greater extent just how half-baked and clueless they really are as a 'political party'.

And I think that would be a disastrous idea. Possibly the worst thing that could happen to British politics in fact.

The fact is the BNP have some very sound policies in other areas. Would you vote for a party that has pledged to create "a bulk transport tax regime that pushes supermarkets to supply more local and seasonal produce"? How about a party that promises to "eliminate the unhealthy, energy intensive and cruel factory farming of livestock"?

Would you vote for a party that intends to "encourage an extensive and rapid switchover to organic and low fossil fuel farming techniques"? Or one that wishes to "remove unsightly overhead power lines from beauty spots and [bury them] underground"?

The BNP have promised major investment in public transport and offshore wind farms. They want to close all foreign military bases on British soil, withdraw from NATO and close the majority of British overseas military installations. They actively opposed the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan and believe that British troops should only ever be used when Britain is under direct attack. They are also "committed to a free, fully funded National Health Service for all British citizens" and intend to reverse the part-privatisation of the NHS.

Yes, they are vile racists and they certainly have policies that exist in the far reaches of absurdity. But (metaphorically speaking) the Nazis got the trains running on time, and who doesn't want that?

Question Time usually features 5 or 6 questions in total. I can easily imagine 6 questions in which the BNP would come across as vastly more reasonable and sane than Labour, the Tories or the LibDems. And what would such a programme do for their legitimacy, I wonder?
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index