77 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
stray
stray
2057 posts

Edited Oct 24, 2009, 11:24
Re: opinions on last night's question time
Oct 24, 2009, 11:23
The analogy of the BNP being the same as the US republican party is very weak though. I may be out of touch but I don't think the Republican Party would say; that NY is no longer an American city nor that the only true Americans are those who can say their ancestors lived on US soil just after the last ice age, or that all immigrants should be sent home. Cos, well, in a US context it would be quite silly really. Yep,it's quite silly here too,but we're dealing with European Fascism, it's very different. I've never heard of an anti-jewish holocaust denying Republican.

I know you have those minutemen loonies down on the mexican border, I reckon they're about the closest to our BNP in political terms. Of course our BNP have all manner of additional unpleasant opinions,such as homophobia (very Republican true). It's also true what Ian said about the Tory rank and file having similar opinions to the BNP. However, it is much more likely that a Tory who feels disenfranchised in Camerons new (no, it isn't new tbh) Tory Party to vote for UKIP before they would vote BNP.

What I'm saying is painting all right-wing parties as being the same is really, really fucking dumb. You just end up validating, and legitimising a lot of policies and ideas that you really, really don't need to. Grufty is correct, this is about legitimising that which we cannot afford to, especially at this time where polarisation is creating traction for extremists. Mind you, if the BNP did enact their no immigration, send em all home, policy this country would be royally fucked into an unrecoverable situation economically.

The Tory party is already legitimising a few facist parties in Europe by working with them in the EU group they're part of. This, this is the problem here. The rise of fascist groups (as opposed to the normal right wing parties) is a european wide problem. It's also a problem in Russia too. The anti-islamic feeling even in Denmark has gone completely over the top, the violence there at the moment is horrifying and the state and the police are completely out of line.

Know thine enemy, move down south cos the racism there is overt and therefore visible. FFS. That is a terrifyingly stupid argument.

Anyhow, the Anti fascist groups here in the UK can be happily relied upon to beat the living crap out of BNP members and supporters when it comes to the point that it will be required. Same is true in a lot of other European countries , but not all of Europe unfortunately.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index