77 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: opinions on last night's question time
Oct 24, 2009, 12:42
stray wrote:
The analogy of the BNP being the same as the US republican party is very weak though. I may be out of touch but I don't think the Republican Party would say; that NY is no longer an American city

Only after 9/11 did the Republicans start loving NYC.

stray wrote:
I've never heard of an anti-jewish holocaust denying Republican.

Really? I have. Republicans only started 'loving' the Jews once they started hating Islam more than Israel.

stray wrote:
What I'm saying is painting all right-wing parties as being the same is really, really fucking dumb.

But I didn't say that. What I said was that the Republicans permit their own extreme end of their party to operate without much criticism, and let them off the leash when it's politically expedient to their ends. Not the same.

stray wrote:
Know thine enemy, move down south cos the racism there is overt and therefore visible. FFS. That is a terrifyingly stupid argument.

Nobody I know moves down south because racism is overt. I was just passing on a rhetorical observation that some have expressed.

stray wrote:
Anyhow, the Anti fascist groups here in the UK can be happily relied upon to beat the living crap out of BNP members and supporters when it comes to the point that it will be required.

That sounds like what the right wingers say about the left, too.

My basic point is that your BNP may be a defined political party that doesn't have an analogue in the USA... but we have plenty of far-right Republicans that are sympathetic to the same fascist aims. Perhaps they are more 'diluted' against the larger backdrop of the GOP, but they do exist. They don't need to be 'legitimized' to have a negative effect on the larger body politic... they thrive inside of the established Republican fold.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index