77 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

Re: opinions on last night's question time
Oct 25, 2009, 13:00
handofdave wrote:
I'd expect the BNP rank and file would be taking orders to chill out while they're getting all this press.

My concern is that, if the criteria for censorship is how the public reacts to someone being on TV, do you apply that to everyone? What if you had someone who is anti-BNP on the air and it correlated with a rise in attacks? Do you ban them too?

I'm not just talking about abstract concepts of free speech, here... if legal precedents can be set against the BNP that can end up coming back around and sabotaging progressives too, it might be wise to beware the impulse to censure.

Good question Dave, though can't see why there would be any air time given to an anti-fascist if there weren't fascist activity, antifa etc and organisations like them are reacting to active fascism/racism etc. If there's no fascist/racist activity why would an anti-fascist (all the main political parties representatives as well) be given air time? Thing is very difficult, could Griffin be said to have incited racial violence? Which is a crime, on QT, I doubt it. Doesn't mean that his appearance won't cause there to be more attacks. Agreed free speech is vitally important but there are plenty of things that get censored, and this runs against the principle of free speech, yet the judgement is made that this is the right thing to do, this is because the world is messy and complex, and a best judgement (least evil, born out of a grey area) made which sometimes runs against principles we hold to be absolute, such as freedom of speech.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index