Topic View: Flat | Threaded
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

Re: opinions on last night's question time
Oct 24, 2009, 16:40
red paeony wrote:
handofdave wrote:

On more than one occasion I've had other white men assume I'm one of their fellow racists (just because I'm white) and give me the ol' nudge nudge wink wink. Get these fuckers AWAY from me.

Yep, I get that vibe too, sometimes. I feel like saying, "Don't drag me onto your hate bus", but usually it makes them feel lame to just ignore them.

I'll tell you something quite telling about people. My daughter has three best friends. One of them is of mixed race, his dad being black, mom is white. Sometimes I throw the kids in the car and we go out for ice cream or whatever. You wouldn't believe the looks I get from nosey buggers.
I've even been asked BY TOTAL STRANGERS if they're brother and sister.
I know what they're thinking and I don't give 'em satisfaction of an answer at all. These kids are 11 and color blind. They get along, have shared interests, and I've never heard any of them bring up the topic of race. It just doesn't matter to them.
~D

I was in KFC (yes I know) with my kids getting a snack after some event, and some drunk bloke "said hey, you get off then on feeding these poor black kids this shit then" I just said "they're my kids" and he went slack jawed and his partner who was obviously highly embarrased by him anyway just went into profuse apology mode, fortunately my kids barely noticed. They were then of the age to be totally unphased by difference, things are changing for them though. Its part of my job to help them grow and develop the personal power, knowledge and language to discuss who they are - or this aspect of who they are so that they maintain good self-worth and self esteem.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index