opinions on last night's question time

77 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: opinions on last night's question time
Oct 24, 2009, 13:40
'Race' wasn't a concept invented by white Europeans. Every ethnicity and religion defines itself, and has terms to describe other ethnicities and religions. This idea that somehow only white Europeans are capable of prejudice is born out of white guilt.

All I'm saying is that it's virtually impossible to dance around the fact that we have obvious characteristics that we inherit from our forebears. It's not inherently hateful to say that someone is of a particular race.

I guess it does get more complex now that more people share mixed ethnic parentage. In the USA (and in Britain too, no doubt) most people would call anyone who has even a very dilute share of African blood a black person. THAT comes out of the old days when mulatto children were automatically designated as black. But rather than gloss over one's parentage in the hopes of overcoming old evils, what's wrong with embracing them? There's a rumor that one of my great-great grandmothers had native American blood... I LIKE to think so... 'cause otherwise my heritage would be exclusively Anglo-Saxon.

Some have envisioned a future where all ethnic characteristics blend into one worldwide type. Utopian? Perhaps. Dull? Most certainly. I appreciate seeing the variety of human beings. That doesn't mean I believe in keeping 'racial purity', but it'd be a loss if we all blended into some sort of homogenized human species. It'd be like if all the varieties of birds were cooked down into just some sort of one-size-fits-all chicken, or something.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index