The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Geoclashing

116 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Reluctant Defender
8 posts

Re: Back on topic, sort of
Jan 24, 2003, 17:18
Oh Squid, I do get your point, really. However you seem to have missed mine. I understand that you and your friends like to find out about a monument, find where it is, then go visit it. You already know where you are going, and have a pretty good idea what you will find when you get there.
Me, I like to punch some numbers into my GPS, then follow the arrow. I don't know where I am going, or what wondrous sights might be there when I get there. Very few places on earth are truly unknown, but for a short period of time, I am an explorer, visiting places I never knew existed in my own backyard.
I enjoy the mental challenge of trying to figure out where that little box is hidden, and what might be in it once I get there.
We aren't tearing up the area. Chances are you are not going to spot a cache just sitting there. I go to great trouble to make sure not to disturb things, you would never know I had been there looking. The only thing you might notice is there is now less litter then last time you visited.

Now, the point you have totally missed, Mr. Squid, is this. Just because you personally don't like the idea, many govt. agencies and land managers don't share your same thinking. Many have come to understand the negative aspect of leaving a small box hidden somewhere is greatly outweighed by the good parts of geocaching.
I can point you to specific caches if you like where the agencies themselves have placed caches, or enlisted the help of local cachers to place one, as a way to get people to experience an unknown place, or clean up a trashed location. Cachers tend to adopt the area of a cache as their own, same as many TMA members, and we try to make sure the area isn't damaged or vandalized. They consider that an acceptible tradeoff for leaving a little box in the woods nearby. Much better then the avg person who just goes there to see the site, and drops their trash on the ground while looking for a "souvenir" to take home.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index