Geoclashing

116 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
shep
10 posts

Re: Back on topic, sort of
Jan 24, 2003, 17:01
quote:
"I'm getting pretty sick of this total obtuseness and refusal to understand the possible environmental impact of leaving these boxes all over the shop, hidden or not."

I suspect that the total environmental impact of a single 35mm cache, properly maintained and regularly visited, will be significantly less that the total environmental impact of burning fossils to keep this very web site running for the last hour or so.

Which, although it may seem flippant, is intended to be a serious point. Fundamentally, every day, you make decisions to instigate a certain amount of environmental impact in order to facilitate your daily existance - whether it be to get you to work in the morning, put food on your plate, or to pursue a "hobby" like geocaching or archaeology.

quote:
"Not to mention the possible damage caused by ppl looking for them, which seems to have been conveniently forgotten."

Or, say, the damage caused by cup-and-ring hunters trampling through the Northumberland heather during nesting season? We all have good guys and bad guys. By and large, I think our tribe has mostly good guys. Probably yours too.

In my part of the world, the average cache has less than 10 visitors. I think ancient monuments probably have a much higher visitor rate than this (especially the ones on the busload-of-tourist circuit). I suspect that the throughput of visitors to a location has a *far* greater effect on the environment than any other factor - or, taking that to it's logical conclusion, that the presence of ancient monuments in an area is a much greater danger to the environment than the presence of our little plastic boxes!

Again, this statement seems flippant at first glance - but going back to my first point, we all choose a place where we draw a line between damaging the environment, and pursuing our personal interests/desires. Who are you to say that, given the nature of the respective hobbies, your "environmental line" is drawn in a better place than mine?

(not meant to be inflamatory - just another P.O.V.!)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index