Geoclashing

Pages: 12 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Holy McGrail
Holy McGrail
1257 posts

Geoclashing
Jan 24, 2003, 09:12
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere in recent discussions, but I can't see it anywhere so thought I'd ask.

Have Geocachers ever had any clashes/nasty experiences with other environmental groups or landowners?

Few MA-er's had heard of geocaching until a couple of days ago. The numbers involved & scale of the activity is quite staggering and bound to cause anyone alarm when first confronted with it (oh, and it still does, but that's another thread). Do any geocachers know the views on their sport of, say, Encams? http://www.encams.org

Keep Britain Tidy,

Holes.

http://www.encams.org/bigpic.php?picid=5&PHPSESSID=7926ebaa9924e5820b6a50fe30b3c1bf
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Re: Geoclashing
Jan 24, 2003, 09:16
Encams - "Yogic Flying Binmen in Berkshire" - wah??! That was a surprising headline to read first thing in the morning Mr McGrail...

Om!
Squid
x
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jan 24, 2003, 09:34
Firstly I think you just thought of the subject line and then found something to post under it :-)

Secondly, Scout posted this

"The discussion reminded me of an article in an American newspaper about geocaching's impact on native American archaeological sites."

In the main thread on the subject. I personally would love to see this article. If it says no damage then I won't complain and may lighten my attitude (except on the physical cache/litter issue).
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jan 24, 2003, 09:34
Brings on a new meaning to "Applying for the position of binman"

I'll get me coat.
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Legality of litter and all that
Jan 24, 2003, 09:38
(Lifted from the encams site FAQ)

20 Is it a crime to drop litter?
Yes, if it happens in a public place. The average fine is around £95 although a court does have the power to fine someone up to £2,500 (a Level 4 offence on the Standard Scale). Cases are heard in the Magistrates' Court. Approximately 400 people were prosecuted last year by the police for littering. Alternatively, in some areas you could get a £50 fixed penalty fine for littering from the local authority "litter warden".

21 What is litter?
Legally speaking, the word litter is given a wide interpretation. Litter can be as small as a sweet wrapper, large as a bag of rubbish or it can mean lots of items scattered about. ENCAMS describes litter as "Waste in the wrong place caused by human agency." In other words, people make litter. The Offence of Leaving Litter (section 87 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990) says that if a person drops, throws, deposits or leaves anything so as to cause defacement in a public place, they could be committing a littering offence. So always put rubbish in a bin, or take it home.

22 What can I do if I see someone drop litter?
If you are with someone you know and they drop litter you may feel safe telling them that they shouldn't. However, even though it is infuriating to see someone littering, ENCAMS does not want you to put your personal safety at risk. The same applies if you see litter thrown from cars. Police officers or litter wardens are empowered and trained to deal with offenders. If you have information about a littering incident you could report it to the police, the local authority or a litter warden, but it is up to them to decide whether they wish to proceed any further. Whilst it is possible to take a private prosecution, it would be at a person?s own expense and you will need strong evidence to prove your case in court.
RiotGibbon
1527 posts

Environmental Protection Act
Jan 24, 2003, 10:11
when I was a park-keeper, we lived and died by this. Different areas have different rules, but there are some quite stringint rules - it even covered stuff like leaves, if they were on a pavement

so

I see our friend Dan has placed a cache at the Whiteleaf Cross:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=19136

now, this place is undergoing a large scale environmental restoration project:
http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/countryside/whiteleaf/restoration.htm

do plastic containers stashed away in there come under that?

I think the Bucks Archeaological Service might be interested in this

RG
lobsterboy
lobsterboy
54 posts

Jan 24, 2003, 10:13
The rules state that a cache should be planted with the landowners permission.

If this is the case then you are into a strange area - I consider some of the things farmers leave around as litter. Strange things in peoples front garden could be litter or decoration. How do you know? who has the final say?
Teasel
18 posts

Jan 24, 2003, 10:22
I don't know which particular article Scout was referring to, but the following fits the description:
http://www.arizonarepublic.com/news/articles/0807cache07.html

Unfortunately, I doubt it'll help lighten attitudes...
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Jan 24, 2003, 10:28
>The Web site does have rules: The game cannot be played on lands maintained by the National Park Service nor on or near archaeological or historical sites.<

are these the rules here too?

hmmm. You're right Teasel, not going to soothe matters that article methinks. It points to exactly the same potential problems that cause so much concern here. Good of you to post it despite that though - thanks.
Kaipaith
27 posts

Re: Legality of litter and all that
Jan 24, 2003, 10:37
"Leaving Litter (section 87 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990) says that if a person drops, throws, deposits or leaves anything so as to cause defacement in a public place, they could be committing a littering offence."

The whole point of Geocaching is to not cause an intrusion - or defacement - in a public place, as has been pointed out several times.

Again, as has also been pointed out several times, many Geocachers spend much of their walk picking up trash along the way (or provide resources within the cache for others to pick up trash if they see it).
Pages: 12 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index