The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Geoclashing

116 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
shep
10 posts

Re: Legality of litter and all that
Jan 24, 2003, 11:58
I know, it sounds ludicrous, but I actually get a lot of enjoyment out of hunting for geocaches, and I can't come up with any kind of cohernet explantion of why I actually do so. Perhaps there's a deep-set "inner child" curoiusity for finding hidden things that nobody knows about. Perhaps it's the sense of adventure when you go out on a journey and don't quite know what you're going to find until you get there (geocaches aren't all based at historical sites - one day my GPS might blindly take me to work of public art that I didn't know about... or a place of outstanding scenic beauty... I didn't even know that I had such interesting things as iron-age cup-and-ring carvings virtually "on my doorstep" until I got into geocaching - There's quite an epiphenal feeling you get when you discover things like that!!). Perhaps it's a sense of community you get when you share your thoughts and feelings about these places with other visitors, in the cache log books (the log boooks are probably the main thing that interests adults in caching; the other trinkets in the caches are usually there to keep the kids interested!).... and in many ways, it's the journey that's important rather than the destination. But without the destination, there isn't a journey ;-)

well... I'm starting to digress now, and obviously it's all of these things, in various measures. And probably other things that I can't put into words. But yes, I and a few thousand other people get quite a lot of enjoyment from the past-time, no matter how crazy it might seem to outsiders.

I notice that some of my GC colleagues have (rather foolishly) come over here evangelising the idea that everybody will get the same enjoyment from the pursuit. Personally, I think that a bit of a silly expectation - in my experience geocaching is very much something that people "get" or "don't get". I think, at the end of the day, the best I hope for is some degree of understanding... and acceptance that we, generally, keep ourselves to ourselves and don't permanently harm the enviroment that we play in, or go out of our way to offend other groups.

Urm, that's it, really....
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index