Change?

132 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Re: Change?
Feb 01, 2017, 22:16
tiompan wrote:

Yes your two LB'S would be aligned on the equinox ,and with the same orientation if the horizon for each was similar all that would be required of the builders, is to know when the equinox took place , a matter of counting of days from the solstice .

Yes, after my previous post (and as I was heating my dinner up!) I thought that that would simply be a matter of counting. You count from a certain point and set your monument up to face the rising sun on that day.

tiompan wrote:

But despite the similarities you might only get get three or four close to that exact alignment ,and there is leeway , maybe about 30 degrees .

Ok, is the leeway due to different monuments with same orientation but looking towards different horizon heights, but the same number of days counting?
I might have that wrong?

tiompan wrote:

The counting of days , might explain some similar orientations , i.e. group A decides to orient their monuments on the rising sun 90 days after the winter solstice meanwhile elsewhere group B chooses 111 days .

Yes, so if I understand, group As (geographical group?) monuments would, depending on horizon height be broadly similar orientations.

Whereas Bs would be slightly different but both sets would be similar.

tiompan wrote:

It seems a bit odd/unlikely but it would work . But if the orientation is towards a part of the sky where the sun never rises or sets ,which is often the case ,and that quarter of the horizon could encompass 100 degrees or more then counting won't help .

So those monuments cannot be based on counting because there is no particular indicator, yes? No 'moment'?
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index