Change?

132 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: Change?
Jan 28, 2017, 18:00
"And maybe the reason why Moss made the paper TMA and Burl the only two "set texts" in the desert island allowance?"

Yes;) it seems to me that books are built on other books, no one picked up on the other 6, I made a start this morning, then had to take the dog to the vet..I will defend Cope's book, because it was original with essays and is called The Modern Antiquarian, the play on the word 'Antiquarian', when you realise the vast amount of books written before has always pleased me.

Mike Aston who first introduced me to the archaeology of the place where I lived, can’t remember the title of the book but it was about North Avon/Somerset. He was, as we all know a popular television person in his role on Time Team. Setting out to bring archaeology to the public, not a bad undertaking.

Jodie Lewis – Again local, she wrote a book with the rather grandstanding title, ‘Monuments, Ritual and Regionality: The Neolithic of Northern Somerset’. Stanton Drew, Stoney Littleton and all its satellite long barrows were there, nothing complicated.

The next book/excavation was one on Keiller’s excavation of Windmill Hill and Avebury, the painstaking excavation of all the individual ditches round Windmill Hill making them into family plots grabbed my attention..,

Alisdair Whittle – Sacred Mound, Holy Ring; A book borrowed from the library, pig bones buried in the post holes, a long list of the plants underneath Silbury opened up the world.

Books that opened my mind to specific places.... slightly jumbled but still
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index