tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Change?
Feb 01, 2017, 20:14
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
tjj wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:

Apart from a few notable exceptions, i'm beginning to think, *as far as monument orientations are concerned*, there isn't much to support the idea that neolithic people were concerned with what was going on in the sky, or what time of year it was!

Fair?

I wouldn't agree that they weren't concerned about what time of year it was - these 'pagan festivals' all pre-date Christianity otherwise we wouldn't have Christmas or Johnmas (as it is known on Orkney) i.e. midsummer. No written evidence that I'm not talking imbolics of course.

Sun and moon , and sometimes stars is all we had to know where we were in the cycle , or even get about , they work really well .

Indeed but i'm not sure we should assume 'the cycle' was a part of their monument building.

Still 'of the sky' of course, but perhaps some monuments were orientated to the position of the sun on the morning after an individual died, or some other event significant to the community.

I agree to an extent , but aligning a building to an event that is also culturally/cosmologically important would provide another level of importance for the building ,bigger juju .
It has often been suggested ,but so many ,I have posted quite a few don't face a part of the horizon where the sun or moon will be seen to rise ,i.e. they are already well up above the horizon .Then there is the problem of regional variation where groups share a relatively narrow band of orientation , did everyone die around the same date ?
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index