Change?

132 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: Change?
Jan 25, 2017, 09:43
Spencer's discourse on TMA was well made. Personally I think it is a brilliant resource just as it is - one I always consult before going off on one of my annual adventures (i.e. holiday) to some far flung corner of the British Isles. That is the key to its effectiveness I feel - you can look up a site and read the field notes of those who have gone before. Almost always articulate, often humorous. Then write up your own field notes afterwards, if you wish - so there is a permanent record of your visit to look back on. I find that quite satisfying.

Although there are quite a few Facebook prehistory pages around now they are too fast and not suitable for research or planning. TMA really belongs to the people who use it and I should give Rhiannon a mention here for the excellent Folklore archive she has been largely responsible for.

There are a few gaps in The Modern Antiquarian book - for example, Julian Cope never wrote much about Northern Ireland and other parts of the Irish Republic so the Irish contribution here is particularly useful.

The Forum can be entertaining and informative too. No changes from me.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index