Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
For Ceremonial purposes?

127 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Re: Pushing the idea a little further...
Aug 27, 2013, 12:09
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Littlestone wrote:

One facet of this thread that hasn’t really been addressed in any detail is how stone circles might have been delineated. The rope and stake method is the one usually sited but that’s a very simple way of delineating a circle and rules out other ways and other considerations. The circle builders were quite capable of using the method of course (and probably did) but did they always use it. The method is neat and effective but it lacks one very important element - the element of ritual participation by all those who might be using the circle. Surely, when a circle the size of Avebury was being considered, the ritual aspect of marking it out would have been important. Off the top of my head I can think of three or four methods that would produce a reasonable circle - none of which involves a stake and a rope but would non-the-less be fairly effective while, more importantly, involving a greater degree of group participation.

Barnatt did some research on this after Thoms claims. He got students to construct a number of circles by eye and then surveyed them for comparison with existing circles. The results indicated that geometric methods were not used in prehistory. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the RSCs were an exception to this, and that they were considered to have been laid out geometrically.

There is a greater evident symmetry at many RSC's i.e. the grading in height as well as spacing of stones which could also have been done by eye , they tend to be closer to to circles ,with the exception of the recumbent which is often skewed .It's worth looking at plans of SC 's pre Thom imposition of "geometry " they just look like stone circles , insert the very subjective lines which sometimes are on the outside of the stones other times inside and at others miss them them entirely , and it becomes a flattened egg

Re the recumbent being skewed, sometimes outside of the circle, sometimes inside, v important in seeing it as the final part in the construction.
The circle could easily have been laid out on its 'line' if it was an early part of the monument, as I think Burl suggested.
Sometimes it appears way off the line of the circle, being set up against the edge of the cairn.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index