127 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: For Ceremonial purposes?
Aug 18, 2013, 19:22
Sanctuary wrote:
Just a question to generate discussion. What makes a stone circle or circles ceremonial? Where is the proven evidence for this?
I'm taking the week off to attend and take part in The Hurler's...Mapping the Sun project and noticed they are considered as being for ceremonial purposes.
http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/hurlers-stone-circles/
Really looking forward to it as it is on my doorstep..Yay.

Hi Sanctuary, I shall come and talk to you, because this thread is getting way over my head. The question asks 'what makes a stone circle ceremonial' I think Evergreen Dazed has made the points most succinctly, for me if you create an 'avenue', or cursus, than you are producing a walkway to process along, Avebury, Stonehenge and Stanton Drew all have one to their circles... what do you do when you get to the circles? that is of course impossible to answer, visiting traders, chiefs invited into the inner circle to have a confab... maybe; religious..... maybe; star watching...maybe.
Do the stones have any significance in the way they are fashioned? well that to me is interesting, shapes and sizes differ from circle to circle.
As for the Hurlers, well definitely looking to their ancestral tor, and I would love to be in Minions again.:)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index