127 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: For Ceremonial purposes?
Aug 18, 2013, 18:53
woolybaque wrote:
I take your point, tho' I think that even the smaller ones, (in the context of the small societies who built them and the amount of their time occupied by their needs to survive) would have required a (relatively) not inconsiderable amount of effort. I like Robert Graves suggestion that Silbury may have been of the 'Circular Tower' type of constrution, so dealing with death. Perhaps the lesser circles were for more mundane reasons.

I've always thought the much smaller lesser circles were like comparing a cathedral to a chapel. By that I don't mean they were for religious purposes(although they may well have been) but more for local use within a community rather than for possibly large gatherings. I have no doubt that they had a regular function because they would appear to have been so numerous and commonplace. That's as far as it goes with me I'm afraid as that's speculation enough:-). It galls me that we are only looking back some 4/5,000 years yet still don't know what something so common was REALLY used for!
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index