Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: For Ceremonial purposes?
Aug 20, 2013, 09:31
tiompan wrote:
tjj wrote:
Hi Roy, sorry to come to this discussion late in the day. Lots of useful posts being made which I have been reading.
Just before I went up to Lewis I printed off this article http://www.soue.org.uk/souenews/issue8/thom.html
and did a bit of reading up on Alexander Thom and Megalithic Astronomy. It's an interesting article which also touches on the 'megalithic yard' - a linear measurement of 0.829m or 2.72ft.

June , In an otherwise relatively sober article there's one howler " This can sometimes mean that a modern observer would have to stand hundreds of metres from where the megalithic observer would, in order to see the same thing. So Thom had to do extensive calculations to make his case."
He seems to have got his noughts in a twist ,this is way out ,the change in obliquity means things are a bit different today but as anybody who has been to Stonehenge or Newgrange at solstice can see it is nothing like hundreds of metres more like 1m.

Ah! Thanks Tiompan ... here's what happened. Before I went up to Lewis I spoke to Margaret Curtis by phone (SteveM had met her a few weeks previously and had given her my name). She asked me if I was a 'follower of Thom" ... My reaction was "Umm! Not Sure!" So I thought I'd better read up a bit. I didn't fully understand a lot of what I read but it obviously makes more sense when you're up there. What Margaret did do before we went up to the Stones was to take us into a workshop and by a very simple method of sand bins, a central stick and a piece of string showed us how different shaped 'circles' are made e.g. flat topped. I haven't yet, and perhaps never will, written a field note about my visit to Callanish because it is such a massively complex site I am still letting it all sink in.

I come here to read what mainly what you and certain others have to say (even though my rational mind tells me it is not always a good idea). While I can learn something I will continue to do so. So thanks again for taking the trouble to explain things clearly.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index