127 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: For Ceremonial purposes?
Aug 20, 2013, 07:39
tjj wrote:
Hi Roy, sorry to come to this discussion late in the day. Lots of useful posts being made which I have been reading.
Just before I went up to Lewis I printed off this article http://www.soue.org.uk/souenews/issue8/thom.html
and did a bit of reading up on Alexander Thom and Megalithic Astronomy. It's an interesting article which also touches on the 'megalithic yard' - a linear measurement of 0.829m or 2.72ft.

Thanks for that June. I don't really know where I stand on this alignment stuff to be honest as it puzzles me and have always relied on George to make things clearer. I think a few others have benefitted from his advice as well to be honest :-)
I can understand our great ancestors believing in the Afterlife and their departed wandering amongst us after rising at sunrise to the sun in the east pouring into the passageway of their long barrow, but that's about it for me because much of it seems to be speculation with alignments appearing everywhere and to everything. I realise that comment is very broad indeed and I apologise to those who take this subject seriously but it does nothing for me personally. On saying that, Prof Thom was obviously a very clever chap who appears to have devoted a great deal of his time to the subject and has to be admired for it. At least he got out there and didn't just consider it.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index