The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Wild life sightings at ancient sites

93 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
cerrig
187 posts

Re: Wild life sightings at ancient sites
Jan 27, 2010, 00:56
On one of my many visits to Maen Llia in the Brecon Beacons I had a real red letter day of wildlife,quite out of the norm. Ravens,Buzzards and Red Kite are fairly common in these hills,and can be seen on most days,but on this particular day they were joined by a Brown Hare.He/she was sat in the road,bold as brass.I had to stop the car because the hare was happy to just sit there,and hares just don't do that.After a minute or so it loped off to the verge and merged into the rushes,not bothered at all by me.
I went up to Maen Llia and on down the valley to the nearby cairn,with the compulsory Ravens playing in the breeze above.They really do seem to love clowning around in this way
.On the slope leading up to the cairn a meadow pippet popped out and did the broken wing thing. A quick look at the 3 blades of grass where it had come from revealed a nest, with a clutch of eggs the size of one of the keys i'm pressing right now on this keyboard,tiny,but what a perfect vision that nest was. Absolutely no chance of seeing it without the bird giving the game away.
I detoured around it and made a quick exit before my presence spooked the bird too much( I have this effect,mostly on the ladies)
On reaching the crest of the mound that the cairn sits on,i caught sight of a vole scuttling off into a hole in the stones of the cairn . I hung around for a while taking photo's and then made my way back to Maen Llia,smugly pleased with my days encounters.Days like this can make you feel a bit special and somehow favoured i think.
As i got there i heard a quad bike in the valley behind me,a local farmer rounding up his sheep. Guess where he drove his flock of sheep,followed by him on his quad. Sometimes life just can't resist taking the piss can it.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index