The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Wild life sightings at ancient sites

93 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
scubi63
463 posts

Re: Wild life sightings at ancient sites
Jan 26, 2010, 19:11
Well, on my travels around the sites of Wessex I have seen countless types of wildlife with rabbits, buzzards and deer almost everywhere at some point or other including a muntjac at Lugbury and roe at Penning. The roe was stood in the tall grass (or it may have been crop) with just the top of his head showing, staring at me as Rex and I walked passed but Rex was too short too see it or it Rex.

I have been lucky enough to see hares boxing in the fields by the side of the Herepath (Green Street) on the way up to the polisher and a fox and cub near the Devil’s Den.

A pair of small hawks hovering a few meters away at eye level to me as I stood on top of the escarpment of Cherhill Down at Oldbury Castle and then swooping down into the field below as it spotted their next meals. This was repeated again and again sometimes they were lucky but quite often not.

At both Lanhill and Belas Knap I have watched voles (or maybe they were mice) scurrying out of their hidey holes to get snack when they thought the cost was clear. I could watch that for hours it was so mezmorising, but it was always to quick to get a photo.

I remember visiting Oliver’s Castle one summer and being astonished by the number and variety of butterflies as I walk around. Probably the most I have ever seen in the wild in this country at once.

There was also the bird we saw on Moor Divock (in Cumbria not wessex) at the Northern Megameet that everybody was trying to identify.

Wildlife is a very important part of the ‘stones’ experience, it always fills me with wonder and maybe it also connects me with the past in some way.

Great topic TJJ, thanks :o)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index