93 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: Wild life sightings at ancient sites
Jan 22, 2010, 16:49
TheStandingStone wrote:
I was at a very large rath once that had a medieval church built in the middle of it. All that was left at the church was the outer walls and trees were growing in the middle...There was a gate into the church which I climbed over. While navigating the trees I noticed out of the corner of my eye something moving by my feet. It was a bloody great badger! It hadn't noticed me so I backed away slowly and climbed out. It must have been severely ill not to notice me and to be out in the middle of the day...but it was a shock..particularly knowing how nasty they can be...I didn't want to be trapped in this ruin with it.

There are some great posts here, thank you all very much. I think the eagles are stealing the show at the moment.

Just wanted to say something about badgers though - in answer to TheStandingStone. I wonder if your badger had tuberculosis that we hear so much about over here in England, sadly I have only seen dead 'road-kill' badgers at the side of roads around Avebury and Wiltshire. There was one occasion, however, not long after I first started visiting Avebury, was walking back down Waden Hill after a fabulous view of Silbury when my leg went down a badger set concealed by long grass - I was unhurt and looking back it seems funny. Currently there is a massive fresh badger set on the side of Waden Hill that overlooks Silbury - quite obvious at the moment but come summers long grasses it will be a hazard to walkers.

At the time of the above incident I had only recently left my city life behind and it was a good lesson that how ever many people stomp around Avebury during the day, at night Nature reclaims it.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index