Lost Festivals at Megalithic Sites

114 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Branwen
824 posts

Edited Jan 04, 2010, 19:12
Re: Lost in Cyber Space
Jan 04, 2010, 19:07
Sorry to hear you got a raw deal. If you wait long enough you will find things you've speculated upon become the latest theory when persons looked to for forward thinking and speculation decide it's time for them to take ownership of ideas long held by other, less public, figures.

I haven't seen the old method of drawing horoscopes, no. I did learn, when studying Druidry, that the coming of the celts signalled the end of needing stone monuments because they used tables and symbol replacements for sighting along. Bit like the ipod replacing the boombox I guess, if true. They brought different burial customs too, replacing the ancestors in stone customs too.

Being twice as bright at arithmetic wouldn't necessarily mean they would be in touch with the environment. I remember reading about neolithic settlers on one of the western islands leaving, at about the same time as settlement began on another nearby island. One assumes they had to move due to the incommers. They torched 2000 hazel trees in one fell swoop. Slash and burn was common here, but the experts seem to agree these trees were farmed for their nuts, and were burned as the people left, probably so no one else got the benefit of them.

I'll check out that link, Stonegloves. Thanks. My first quick scan of it had me going Aha! Mnemonics. Been saying for years that mnemonics instead of written records is surprisingly effective way of storing and passing along information. Ogam mnemonics. Mnemonics within poetry that gives navigational information. Lots of ways in which they have been used.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index