The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Lost Festivals at Megalithic Sites

Pages: 12 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Branwen
824 posts

Lost Festivals at Megalithic Sites
Dec 13, 2009, 18:58
I keep seeing references to four "lost festival alignments" and wondered what dates they fell on and what alignments they had. Do they have explanations in folklore?
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Lost Festivals at Megalithic Sites
Dec 13, 2009, 19:26
Branwen wrote:
I keep seeing references to four "lost festival alignments" and wondered what dates they fell on and what alignments they had. Do they have explanations in folklore?

What context ?
Branwen
824 posts

Edited Dec 13, 2009, 19:53
Dec 13, 2009, 19:42
Well, the last reference I've seen to it was looking through the Ancient Lothian site, on a list of festivals.
http://www.cyberscotia.com/ancient-lothian/leaves/features/calendar-of-festivals.html

I've seen them mentioned elsewhere, though, always without an explanation of the alignment, which must fall on the days given, and so are guessable, to an extent, or fall where old samhuinn or old beltuinn fell, for instance. I wondered why they are "lost" and not commonly mentioned, and what the actual alignments are.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Dec 13, 2009, 19:54
Branwen wrote:
Well, the last reference I've seen to it was looking through the Ancient Lothian site, on a list of festivals.
http://www.cyberscotia.com/ancient-lothian/leaves/features/calendar-of-festivals.html

I've seen them mentioned elsewhere though, always without an explanation of the alignment, which must fall on the days given, and so are guessable, to an extent, but I wondered why they are "lost" and not commonly mentioned. Usually when I see them mentioned it just says this site has alignments with lost neolithic festivals.

How can you have a lost Neolithic festival ? It seems like a case of Steve S-W has taken one of the pits at cairnpapple as an alignmnet that has no obvious astro event and assumes the date of the sun rise/set at the azimuth must have been a festival . maybe that's a bit too specific and maybe there are other cases with similar bearings but hardly cause to claim a putative festival .
Branwen
824 posts

Dec 13, 2009, 20:01
I'm as lost as the festivals in question here....
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Dec 13, 2009, 20:04
Branwen wrote:
I'm as lost as the festivals in question here....

Sorrry, was I blethering ?
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Dec 13, 2009, 20:06
Ermm, if they're lost, doesn't that mean you can't find them? Don't believe everything on the internet - that list doesn't include St Winifred's Day, for instance, and she's Bolton's patron saint.
Branwen
824 posts

Edited Dec 13, 2009, 20:16
Dec 13, 2009, 20:13
No Tiompan, but if I knew the answer I wouldn't have asked the question... LOL

Bolton isn't on that list as it is a Lothian's festivals page.

I guess when I see the detail and amount of information on the other pages of that site I think these lost festivals must be something which I am too dumb to have learned about so far, which, lets face it, happens a lot since this whole area of study is new to me.

March 5th old calendar would probably put it near the festival of the serpent roughly. What is the alignment though. Guess I will have to wait for the site to have all the information posted on it. It's under re-construction after all.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Dec 13, 2009, 20:15
Branwen wrote:

I guess when I see the detail and amount of information on the other pages of that site I think these lost festivals must be something which I am too dumb to have learned about so far, which, lets face it, happens a lot since this whole area of study is new to me.

March 5th old calendar would probably put it on the festival of the serpent which falls 15th to the 17th of March modern calendar. But what is the alignment?

The sun rise or set on that day .
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Dec 13, 2009, 20:15
tiompan wrote:
Branwen wrote:

March 5th old calendar would probably put it on the festival of the serpent which falls 15th to the 17th of March modern calendar. But what is the alignment?

The sun rise or set on that day .
Pages: 12 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index