114 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Lost Festivals at Megalithic Sites
Dec 14, 2009, 10:37
Branwen wrote:
You know Tiompan, its just been so much an accepted fact in paganism that Europe wide the Pleides divided the year this way, that I dunno which source it came from, its everywhere, folklore ties in too, especially those connected Samhain. Books mentioning the subject always say "ancient sources". I've a feeling it's part of the coligny calendar... my brain won't go that far back to where I first heard it but I will look it up.

I'm sure the Pleiades were noted etc but apart from the obvious precessional problems which would rule out any continuity i.e. what was seen in 3000 bc would bear no relation to 1000 ad ,they rise just after the sun and are next to impossible to see whereas when setting they would be perfectly clear .There is a possible connection with Coligny but don't think it's definite , also nebra and one I like of a bull with possibly 7 marks close to it's shoulder in one of the Franco /Iberian
caves . It appears to be quite easy to start mantras with no basis every area is full of them .
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index