Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: Lost Festivals at Megalithic Sites
Dec 14, 2009, 22:42
Branwen wrote:
I'm not taking Tiompan on, though, tjj.

When I have a question Tiompan is often the one that can be bothered answering me, even if I don't put the question very well, and I'm grateful for that. I don't care if an answer isn't what I hoped, being ignored and in ignorance would be worse. Or humoured.

In this case I have no position of knowledge to defend, or argument to give, apart from grasping at the straws of every obscure mention of every ancient but unsubstatiated festival I've ever heard of in the hope it might ring bells somewhere, which just fustrates people I guess. Sorry.

In this case, that isnt working. Turns out the answer to "what are the lost neolithic festivals mentioned on Ancient Lothian site" is "dunno, the chap didn't give enough information to know what he's referring to and the dates and locations aren't enough of a clue in themselves". The site in question is bursting with interesting stuff though, so I'll just have to wait, as he's adding stuff all the time since beginning the updating process.

As far as pleiades go, I'm always asking about them within other disciplines, not just this one, due to wealth of folklore about the nine/seven maidens. I do it with a lot of folklore. Seeing how stories originate interests me. Kicking around Weary Well stuff on here and getting other opinions and viewpoints gave me lots more ideas. Probably just newer and more numerous suppositions, but it's interesting to me. A lot of stuff fell into place as part of a whole by doing so with that thread, though the only good it did was to expand a folklore link I'd put on the TMA site. A contribution worth a millionth of a percent compared to the whole site, I guess.

Still. Lurk more, ask less, maybe. LOL. Doesn't pay to exasperate the people with the knowledge, who took pity, and answered...

Branwen, you write really well and I've learnt a lot from your posts. I was being flippant in my language when I said 'taking on tiompan'. I don't know him other than reading what he posts, he comes across as knowledgeable, modest and avoids any of the 'silliness' that sometimes crops up on forums. My previous post was intended as a compliment to you both.
I've never quite understood the term 'lurk', can't see anything wrong with keeping quiet until you've got something to say.
best wishes
tj
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index