To the Heart of the Matter

211 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Re: Nothing ever changes
Dec 04, 2007, 21:30
I'm not going to get into a "who's right and who's wrong" argument with you. Life's too short.

However, last time I looked, English Heritage was a public body, funded by the taxpayer. As a taxpayer, I (and I get the feeling I'm not alone here :-)) feel I have a right to be appraised of certain important information about what's been going on over the last few months, and more importantly, answers to questions that I've been invited (via their website) to ask.

I'm not fortunate to be local enough to pop along and have a chat whenever I feel like it, unlike some here. So I ask on the website, and so far have been largely ignored or palmed off with irrelevant marketing speak.

What I've seen has been issues raised here about certain decisions, which have apparently been strongly supported by EH (eg the Time Capsule farce) and ridiculed by their supporters, yet which have been quietly reversed once a fuss was made. That's no way to run a public body, and if I'm wrong for pointing that out, then so be it. Luckily, we still live in a country with a modicum of the right to free speech, so I'll speak out about poor management of public bodies like EH.

BTW, I have nothing but respect for the grunts at the coalface - you wouldn't get me in there in such dangerous conditions. Frankly I think you'd have to be mad to even think about going inside the hill, but I'm grateful they did, and I'd like to read about what they found. It's the decision makers I'm critical of here.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index