To the Heart of the Matter

Pages: 22 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

To the Heart of the Matter
Oct 20, 2007, 21:16
Latest news flash from English Heritage's Silbury Updates page at http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.17511

A Silbury Hill documentary, showcasing the work at the site, is being shown this Sunday (21 October 2007) at 10pm on BBC4 – part of an archaeology night. The film explores the final archaeological exploration of the interior of the largest man-made mound in Europe, a journey to the very heart of Silbury Hill, one of our most mysterious prehistoric landmarks. To see the full evening's line-up - including some early Dr Who episodes featuring Silbury Hill! - visit the BBC website...

Oh dear, tackier and tackier. While drawing our attention to some 'early Dr Who episodes' English Heritage seem to have mislaid that other great early BBC feature on Silbury... mmm... something entitled 'Chronicles' wasn't it ;-)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: To the Heart of the Matter
Oct 21, 2007, 09:23
Oh dear, tackier and tackier. While drawing our attention to some 'early Dr Who episodes' English Heritage seem to have mislaid that other great early BBC feature on Silbury... mmm... something entitled 'Chronicles' wasn't it

I expect you'll get criticised for that, but oh dear, they don't help themselves do they? Things are pretty bad in there - more voids and damage than they anticipated, more collateral damage having to be caused, at least two collapses recently, an evacuation, a lengthening of the project, a dubious safety situation - I'm sure everyone is very worried about the situation and has huge sympathy for those working inside, but when the PR department uses the phrase "showcasing" which inescapably implies "showing off to best advantage" rather than simply "showing" its hard not to think the truth, as ever, is being "managed".

"Silbury Hill, the truth" would be a refreshing title wouldn't it? And yes, including Atkinson's footage and some plain speaking about what is now going on. After all, its us that are now shelling out the additional dosh. It would be nice to know WHY rather than see a showcase version of the truth. Grrrrr.
tomwatts
376 posts

Oct 21, 2007, 09:52
How do I tune my video recorder to record BBC4?

Do I just enter the channel number?
wideford
1086 posts

Oct 21, 2007, 10:02
tomwatts wrote:
How do I tune my video recorder to record BBC4?

Do I just enter the channel number?

not an analogue channel and you will have to remember to change the freeview (or whatever) to BBC4 or you'll end up recording whatever digital had been set to previously
tomwatts
376 posts

Oct 21, 2007, 11:10
Sorry, it's beyond me. I'll watch the late night showings.

Sunday is Blues/Rock jam day.Can't miss that.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Oct 21, 2007, 17:05
"Silbury Hill, the truth" would be a refreshing title wouldn't it? And yes, including Atkinson's footage and some plain speaking about what is now going on.

Aye, so too would be an up-to-date account on the conservation of the (possibly spoiled) Atkinson/BBC time capsule described in English Heritage's Update 20 (24-28 September at http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.17511 ) There's no reason to withhold this information from the public nor, actually, any reason not to include a brief mention of it after tonight's TV prog ;-)

Aye, Silbury Hill, the truth would be a grand title for a new prog.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Silbury Hill, the truth
Nov 09, 2007, 12:34
Is it just me or is anyone else concerned by the fact the information flow about Silbury has been further curtailed?

"Progress on the project will become less variable, updates will be posted on a bi-weekly basis, or as new information becomes available."

Come on EH, we know you read TMA, how about some information? Its not just what you're doing its what is the state of the structure. Everyone knows this is a critical time. Are the voids getting bigger? How are you intending to stabilise the centre? Is there any degree of danger to personnel?

Never mind bi-weekly, these are matters that warrant daily reports to the taxpaying public.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: Silbury Hill, the truth
Nov 09, 2007, 17:30
nigelswift wrote:
Is it just me or is anyone else concerned by the fact the information flow about Silbury has been further curtailed?

"Progress on the project will become less variable, updates will be posted on a bi-weekly basis, or as new information becomes available."

Come on EH, we know you read TMA, how about some information? Its not just what you're doing its what is the state of the structure. Everyone knows this is a critical time. Are the voids getting bigger? How are you intending to stabilise the centre? Is there any degree of danger to personnel?

Never mind bi-weekly, these are matters that warrant daily reports to the taxpaying public.

Watching the film on Silbury, it seemed to me that Amanda Chadburn turned quite white at the rumbling of movement in the hill, it was a bit scary, Silbury wreaking revenge as the voids moved and shifted, I felt at the time that the mound was in a perilous state.....
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Nov 09, 2007, 19:49
Bump.

Littlestone wrote:
"Silbury Hill, the truth" would be a refreshing title wouldn't it? And yes, including Atkinson's footage and some plain speaking about what is now going on.

Aye, so too would be an up-to-date account on the conservation of the (possibly spoiled) Atkinson/BBC time capsule described in English Heritage's Update 20 (24-28 September at http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.17511 ) There's no reason to withhold this information from the public nor, actually, any reason not to include a brief mention of it after tonight's TV prog ;-)

Aye, Silbury Hill, the truth would be a grand title for a new prog.
wd
5 posts

Re: Silbury Hill, the truth
Nov 09, 2007, 21:00
Way I hear it is there are potentially massive voids opening up that no-one really has a clue where they are. Lots of rumbling and falling earth sounds. Chalk dust coming from the ceiling. A hill in perilous danger of collapse.

Nice one EH!
Pages: 22 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index