Silbury Hill »
To the Heart of the Matter

211 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Etton
9 posts

Re: To the Heart of the Matter
Nov 17, 2007, 20:31
I have read this thread with interest and have a few questions/points to put forward. Please don't see it as flaming - I'd like to have a mature discussion about it if anyone has any responses or problems with this post.

Have you considered that a lot of the material that falls through might be the old collapsed material that lies above the atkinson arches and occasionally falls through the sides?

If, as Pete says, the archaeologists have now left site and the engineers are taking over, why would there be weekly updates? All the updates I saw were clearly written by archaeologists. I'm sure the engineers have better things to do than take hours out of their already probably very long working days to write about the backfilling process? Might 'less variable' mean that because no archaeology is now going on, there is only one process left on site and that is backfilling. One might not expect an awful lot to be happening as they are no longer removing old material and sampling or recording, or having to deal with collapses and deformed arches to battle to the central voids.

Isn't the diagram in some of the updates, of the old tunnels and things, the detailed diagram of the extent of known voids up to now??

Thanks.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index