211 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: To the Heart of the Matter
Nov 23, 2007, 20:38
Hi Fitz,
I have been somewhat perplexed by this thread and having made a small, probably not helpful contribution, last weekend I decided to keep out of it, especially when 'falling chalk' was being discussed as it would seem that back-filling the voids as speedily as possible with the minimum risk to life and limb was the order of the day and that English Heritage were getting on with it - in spite of adverse conditions.

What was not at all clear from the last English Heritage Update is why they are laying the cable along the floor of the main tunnel. I understand from reading other contributions that the cardinal rule of conservation is to restore the monument (mound in this case) to as close as possible to its original state. Having conceded the point over the time capsule issue then it doesn't seem to make sense for EH to be laying cables inside Silbury. I assumed there must be a very good reason e.g. monitoring future structural instability but it would be helpful if EH spelt out their reasons - perhaps they have and I missed it.

If anyone else can clarify this question (why?) I would appreciate it.

Regards
tjj (june)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index