211 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: Silbury Hill, the truth
Nov 10, 2007, 14:20
Hello Winterbourne Defenders

Speaking as someone who lives in a town near to Avebury, Silbury, the Winterbourne, Swallowhead Spring, WKLB and all the other magical (and sacred) places in that part of Wiltshire - I consider myself privileged to, on a day off, be able to take the 49 bus from Swindon to Avebury and wander through this wonderful land-scape.

I don't know anything about you and your name seems to be new to this forum - however, it seems to indicate the plural (as in Heritage Action). I just wonder, and it is only a thought, whether the constant hectoring of English Heritage is felt to be negative and counter-productive by others who read this forum.

Effective campaigning is not necessarily about insulting the other side and I do not recall Lord Avebury using language such as 'plonkers' in the heart-felt and erudite letter he wrote against the ill-advised time capsule project.

Lots of people who leither live near Silbury or who just visit the area a few times a year, care passionately about how it is conserved and protected. It would be really good if the campaigning work of Heritage Action could be bit more inclusive and little less elitist - becuse that is how it sometimes comes across.

I think at the end of the day we are all on the same side.

with best wishes
June Jackson (tjj)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index