Silbury's structural integrity

148 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Re: Last glimpse inside ancient enigma
Jan 30, 2008, 10:26
Fwiw, I was dreading it - especially having read that webpage, I thought it was going to be dreadful.

And it didn't change my mind! As is becoming common on both ITN & more recently BBC News, the main 'story' was the BBC's 'scoop' of being the last in/out.

There were a few moments that worked - like the miners that Jim mentioned. And a few very scary moments. I loved the bit when Amanda Chadburn said when she was told a hole had appeared in Silbury, she "Didn't think much about it" (or words to that effect) - in a "I didn't bat an eyelid/it didn't worry me" way. Until she saw it & was horrified. Incredible!!!

She's 'in charge' of one of the most important monuments in Britain & she wasn't worried when she heard a big hole had appeared in it!!! Perhaps I should admire her honesty? After all, if I was her now and had felt like that then, the last thing I would have admitted is that that was my first reaction. But then I vaguely work in PR. Oh, so does she, as she was talking on national TV. :^(

And of course I hardly need say that there was no mention that the collapse was 5 years ago and that they did or seemed to do nowt for most of that time - despite Ms Chadburn's horror when she DID see the hole.

I really hope it's all over & the work has been successful. And if it has, all credit to EH for a successful operation. But imo it was only luck that meant the situation hadn't got beyond repair when they finally decided to do something. Esp given some of the things that were said about the structural integrity during the repair - particularly during the 2007 downpours.

Like I say, above all, I hope that's an end to it & that all's well that ends well.

love

Moth
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index